At worksites worldwide, the choice of a crane isn’t just about heavy lifting—it’s about making your operations smoother and more efficient. Enter the davit crane and the gantry crane, each with unique strengths. In this exploration, we’ll cut through the complexities to help you decide which crane is best suited for your unique worksite.
Davit Crane Overview
Davit cranes are recognized by their angled beam, known as a boom, which can be fixed or adjustable while pivoting over a vertical axis. This type of crane comes in portable or stationary models. Choosing portable davit cranes, which are able to move from one work area to another, can make your work easier and more efficient. Stationary davit cranes allow for extended-length booms to maximize reach on heavy loads for efficient and safe lifting. With the option of manual and electric winches, davits minimize the operating footprint while efficiently lifting items from diverse applications.
Gantry Crane Overview
In contrast, gantry cranes are typically larger than davit cranes, featuring a horizontal beam supported by two or more legs. Like davits, gantry cranes utilize both manual and electric winches and can be disassembled for convenient transportation. The primary distinction lies in their wider footprint and greater height, with gantry cranes often chosen for applications demanding higher load capacities.
Both davit cranes and gantry cranes share commonalities in their applications. They efficiently lift items from pits, tanks, or openings and can be disassembled for easy travel. Gantry cranes, often mounted on casters, are almost always portable. Davits offer a variety of base options that provide portability and stationary designs to provide extended reach.
While gantry cranes can be larger and offer higher load capacities, davit cranes provide a more economical, lightweight, and compact alternative suitable for constrained spaces. For example, if a gantry crane straddles an opening for material handling, a davit can accomplish the same task when mounted beside the opening. Additionally, davit cranes can extend over walls and ledges, which is not easily achievable with standard gantry cranes. Mounting a stationary davit base provides flexibility through various mounting solutions.
Thern Davit Cranes: Top Advantages
With a rich history of 75 years in manufacturing industry-leading davit cranes in the USA, Thern stands out as a reliable choice. Several advantages of choosing Thern davit cranes over gantry cranes include:
- Lightweight and More Compact Models: Thern davits are designed for limited spaces without compromising lifting capacity.
- Cost Savings for Smaller Loads: The davit cranes Thern offers are lightweight, easy-to-carry solutions designed for smaller loads, ensuring efficiency without unnecessary expense.
- Flexible Mounting Locations: With multiple base options (pedestal, flush, and wall mount), Thern davits offer flexibility in selecting the optimal mounting location.
- Extension Capability: Unlike gantry cranes, Thern davit cranes can safely extend over walls or ledges.
- Quick Transportation: The components of Thern davits come with quick-release pins for simple, toolless disassembly for transportation to other worksites or storage areas.
In the choice between davit cranes and gantry cranes, the superior functionality and customization of Thern davits are clear. Regardless of your lifting application, Thern davit cranes offer reliable and tailored solutions. Experts at Thern can help you select the best option for your worksite. Connect with us today to get a conversation started!